WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Certificate authority

From: Chackan Lai <calai () usa net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:39:16 -0700

Hi,
The warnings happen because the root CA certificates are not installed on the client browser. If your application do not use a browser, just install the entire certificate chain on the client/server application and you would not see any certificate warnings. Unless you install the certificate chain, any certificates issued would still generate the warning regardless of Openssl or MS cert authority.

Regards,
Chackan

Jared Ingersoll wrote:

Thanks for all of the useful info. Let me narrow my request one step more so
I don't spend any time installing and configuring something that does not
work.  The point of using an alternate Certificate Authority is to mimic the
exact communication between the client and server. Our application has an
interface to it that 3rd parties develop their own tools to utilize. These
tools are not browsers. Anything like a certificate warning for the
certificate authority, mismatch domain name or (expiration) will cause the
exchange of information to fail (or error out). The automated tools we use
in testing behave the same. So to clarify:

1. Is there an app that anyone is familiar with that will duplicate
Verisign's Certificate Authority in a way that would eliminate any type of
warning. (It seems like apache and openssl are out).
2. Does freshmeats.com's CAtool, MS Cert Authority, or any other software
supply certificates that would not present any warning message?

Thanks again!

Jared