Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Windows Licensing (was RE: Windows XP Service Pack1 problem with activation)

From: Stewart Smith <stewart () gammasolutions com>
Date: 18 Sep 2002 14:32:25 +1000

This thread (and my own mind) has gotten me thinking.

I do not own a copy of windows (beyond NT4/98 on a machine that runs
FreeBSD).

If i sit down at a PC running Windows, what gives me the right to use
the Windows software? Am I bound by the license agreement simply by
using a Windows PC? Even though I didn't pay for it or install it (or
open the package, or click the "I Agree" button).

Are they a license for the PC or the user? i.e. is it illegal for me to
sit down at a PC running Windows when I do not have a license to run
Windows on that PC.

just thinking,
your thoughts anyone?

--