Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP Service Pack1 problem with activation

From: J Edgar Hoover <zorch () totally righteous net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:13:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Deus, Attonbitus wrote:

At 01:44 PM 9/13/2002, Nick Jacobsen wrote:

Now, the way our legal system works, the manufacturer could be sued
successfully, even though the car was stolen...  get it, got it, good?
Anyone disagree, I would love to hear you...

Not if the thief definitively acknowledged and accepted an agreement (the
EULA in this case) that explicitly limited his rights to do so.

I once installed windows on 15 computers simultaneously using my
Pocket MCSE (TM)... #2 pencils used to wedge down the enter key.

Mr. Everhard Faber must have agreed to a bunch of EULAs.

I don't think a dialogue box that pops up when when you may or not be in
the room, or an OK box that may have been clicked by you, your cat or your
pencil qualify as "definitively acknowledged and accepted an agreement".

Remember, Windows has about 90% of the market... so it's a good bet that
11 of the 13 jurors will have actually dealt with the crud. My guess is at
least 9 of them are of the "Some error thing popped up and I clicked the
OK button like I always do" school.

A contract is final when they take your money. Would you want to the
seller of a house to be able to renegotiate the price 2 years after you
bought it?