Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Windows XP authentification

From: HalbaSus <halbasus () go ro>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:33:56 +0000

Now I don't know if this is a vulnerability, a feature or a bug..  but it's
certanly anoying. On my home PC I have Windows XP and FreeBSD 4.6. Yesterday
XP crashed because of a scandisk process (on somedoy's else hdd). I removed
the other hdd and booted windows XP... "Your password has expired and must be
changed"
But... Neither the Administrator account's password or my user password didn't
worked. Making imposible to log in. I booted in FreeBSD mounted the windows
drive and everything seems fine... BTW, I instaled Windows XP as an upgrade
to a previous windows 98 could this be the problem ? Does anybody know where
the password file is located ?
Does anybody know what could have caused this ? (maybe the password file got
damaged (yet scandisk and fsck did not reported any damaged files))

--
Proud member of PentaGuard