Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Plain text files in internet explorer

From: Pierre-Yves Bonnetain <bonnetain () acm org>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:06:57 +0200

Benjamin Elijah Griffin wrote:

Photoshop makes a JPEG.  It's a JPEG.
Imagemagick makes a JPEG.  It's a JPEG.
Some crazy hacker with a hex editor makes a JPEG.  It's a JPEG.

Sure, fine. By my SpiffyOS has a great way to store the filetype
outside the filename. So, I use the filename to store special
attributes to the file, such as

        bullet.red
        bullet.blue
        logo.large
        logo.med
        logo.small

At some point I'm going to accidentally come up with an "extension"
that maps differently on different systems.

   Another way to look this point : multiple extensions. You know, the
files some webmaster names infos.pl.html or datasheet.html.en (or
anything you want : advert.fr.jpg). Which extension should carry the
type ? The first ? The second ? By the way, infos.pl.html is an html
file in Polish, or a Perl program code that should be displayed in
HTML ? Or something else ?
   Names are not type, and should not be. Here, in France, anyone
called Jean is a man. In English-speaking zones, it's a woman. You
could run into troubles by 'type-interpreting based on name'.

   Just my .02 cents (of euros, not dollars; almost the same thing
today).

-- Pierre-Yves Bonnetain
   Networks and Computers Security -- B&A Consultants
   Tél +33 (0) 563 277 241 -- Fax +33 (0) 563 277 245