Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: shell script cgi

From: Brian Hatch <vuln-dev () ifokr org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:15:54 -0800

I have found the line below in an sh cgi program, and
believe I can pass a command to the shell but can't
seem to get it to work right. No matter what I try as
the HTTP_USER_AGENT it interprets it as a string in
the echo command & I can't get it to break it into a
new command. Nothing is done to HTTP_USER_AGENT before
this line...it's just reading it directly from the
environment.

Any help you may have is very much appreciated.

Thanks

ua=`echo "$HTTP_USER_AGENT" | sed "s#\;##g"`

Anyone else remembering the 'nph-finger' days of yore?
It had
        echo QUERY_STRING = $QUERY_STRING

you could pass things like '*' to abuse shell filename
expansion, and that'd be the best you're going to get
out of that code.  I don't think you can get it to
execute arbitrary commands, no matter what you try.

--
Brian Hatch                  Behavioral Psychology:
   Systems and                Pulling habits out of rats

Every message PGP signed