Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Online Games Consoles and Security Implications

From: "kawaii" <trunks () stackers org>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 18:58:59 -0400

From: "Steve Maks" <smaks () verisign com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 10:52

I have yet to really look into the PS2 security, but, and I think we had a
thread on this awhile back, the Dreamcast was vulnerable to some DoS
attacks
when hooked to a network via modem or broadband.  Off the top of my head,
remember it being vulnerable to the ping of death.

I don't know that any "massive security implications" would be possible,
worst case scenario someone crashes your PS2 during a gaming session.  Now
when you think about people who are using PS2 Linux with a broadband
connection you get into what could possibly be more problems.  I don't
know
that anyone has rooted a PS2, but it's not entirely impossible.  It would
be
interesting to hear from anyone with an Xbox if they have played around
with
network connectivity at all.

Steve

My understanding is that the PS2 Linux is booted off a CD, with an attached
HD used for storage. If all it takes is a reboot to load up an uncorrupted
FS, it can't be that bad, right?

Ever lovable and always scrappy,
kawaii