Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re[2]: New Binary Bruteforcing Method Discovered

From: dullien () gmx de
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:43:26 -0800

Hey all,

m2ci> Turns out this is just one part of the fuzz concept (and ours). Oh and sorry,
m2ci> sorry, I was far from claiming it as "my technique". :) I can't remember and
m2ci> know about everything new someone thinks of. In any case, I was just sharing
m2ci> some personal work experience in using shared libraries for binary testing.

Just one note on how ooooold (yawn) dynamic-link redirection/hooks
are: In August 1998 it was a known & published technique....

http://www.users.one.se/~stone/window.htm

(search for everything in relation to API-Hooks)

IIRC, Win32.Cabanas was the one of the first Win32-Virii which
utilized same technique to go per-process resident -- and that virus
was found in-the-wild in 1997 ...

Personally, I think security experts should be forced to read up on
virus history... they've been through a lot of shit that gets
're-invented' and 'sold' to the media these days...

Cheers,
dullien () gmx de