Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: New Binary Bruteforcing Method Discovered

From: "Matthew G. Marsh" <mgm () paktronix com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:16:40 -0600 (CST)

[snip]

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 mixter () 2xs co il wrote:

I see. Well I'm not a mathematician and don't think like one, but,
I'd say this doesn't require a mathematically perfect solution, just a
logically perfect one. Vulnerabilities are in relation to external input,

[snip]

NOTE -> ;-}

This reminds me of the age-old joke that goes something like:

A Physicist and an Engineer were selected for a test of intellect...

A very desirable object was placed in the center of a room and the two
testees were told that they could reach the object but only by going half
the distance to the object on any move.

The physicist went to the door of the room and was deep in thought for
several hours and then walked away stating that it was impossible.

The engineer went to the door of the room and immediately started hopping
half the distance and then half and then half...

The testers stopped him and in astonishment asked - "Don't you know you
can never reach the object?"

To which the engineer replied "Yes - But I can get close enough!!"

Which I think covers both angles of this discussion quite nicely...

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha  NE  68104