Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Fw: [Re: Rather large MSIE-hole] another variant

From: Jann Fischer <rezine () criminology de>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:26:32 +0100

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:50:05 -0800
"madness" <madness () diffusion net> wrote:

FYI - Norton AV now picks this up.

Scan type:  Realtime Protection Scan
Event:  Virus Found!
Virus name: XMLid.Exploit
File:  C:\XXXXX\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\C9IVKTMJ\simplebind[1].htm
Location:  Quarantine
Computer:  XXXXXX
User:  XXXXXX
Action taken:  Clean failed : Quarantine succeeded : Access denied
Date found: Fri Mar 15 19:46:32 2002

madness.

Indeed the recent Virii Scanner software pick up this bug. Noticed
that the other day too, using some recent version of F-Secure.
Encoding the HTML page into Unicode (UTF-16) will help, i.e.

$ recode latin1..unicode exploit.html

When you now browse this page with IE, the browser will happily
accept the input, render it and execute the code -- the Virii
scanner on the other hand stays calm, as it obviously doesn't
care about Unicode at all. I don't know how and if other Virii
scanners are affected by this "workaround", but I can imagine
others behave similar to it.

--
Jann Fischer <rezine () criminology de> :: http://www.mistrust.net/rezine.gpg
FA8C   3663   9906   D8C3   AC16          F7C4   66E0   F351   6D83   9821