Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: Michael Jennings <mej () kainx org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:08:49 -0400

On Friday, 28 June 2002, at 07:37:04 (-0500),
Ross Nelson wrote:

However, the point of xlock is to lock it and prevent things like
that.

Uh, no.  The point of xlock is to lock the *session*, not the machine.

I see what you're saying, but if they can do that then there's no
point in locking.

Sure there is.  Users lock sessions to prevent other users from
gaining access to their authentication.  If I'm logged in via X, and
do not lock my session, another user can sit down at my station, start
up a new terminal window, and do whatever he likes with all the
privileges I have.  Locking the session prevents him from doing
naughty things as me.  It doesn't prevent him from logging in as
himself, nor should it.

Also, have you tried opening a second X server on one box at the
same time?  I haven't tried and was wondering if that'd actually
work.

Of course it works.  That's what multiple displays are all about.  Try
"startx -- :1"

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej () kainx org>