Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: Ross Nelson <coutcin () spydermania com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:37:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 strange () nsk yi org wrote:

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:34:01PM -0300, William N. Zanatta wrote:

Unix/Linux is a multiuser system. If a user had the ability to lock the
system against anyone else, I would call that a bug.

As it is, a user has the ability to lock its sessions. That's the purpose
of xlock and likes.

And if the same user or another user has the ability to switch to a new
console and start its own X server or shell, I call that a multiuser
system.

However, the point of xlock is to lock it and prevent things like that.  I
see what you're saying, but if they can do that then there's no point in
locking.

Also, have you tried opening a second X server on one box at the same
time?  I haven't tried and was wondering if that'd actually work.

Ross Nelson