Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

FW: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

From: Russell Munday <rmunday () SYSCAP COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:32:41 -0000

I've heard of this before and believe it to be just that, a rumor. In order
for a monitor to implode, not explode as some people seem to think as the
CRT contains a vacuum, it would have to sustain some heavy physical damage.
Perhaps if there was a power surge through the actual power line, that may
set in effect a myriad of possibilities, implosion being one of them. I've
never heard of this happening, but I suppose it could happen. Could the
input signal lines be modified in a way to implode the monitor? The power
they tend to carry is low, and I can't see the possibility to adjust the
voltage to a higher level. You would need to adjust the transformer in the
PC and that can't be changed except by direct physical access. Speaking of
these hardware killing viruses, I once heard of a virus that could pop the
CPU out of it's socket. Yeah right!

Maybe one day there'll be a virus that can do some real hardware damage, but
I can't see it. Please bear in mind that while I do understand quite a bit
about electronics, I am not an Electrical Engineer and if any of my
statements are wrong please let me know along with an explanation of why it
can be done. Thank you.

Russell