Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Gibson (was Crack Office XP)

From: ian <cheeken () cs bu edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:21:29 -0400

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/4/45.ASP

summary : you need to be an admin to do raw sockets.

i too, find it hard to believe they'd change this design decision in XP.

however. if someone is on your box and getting ready to 'sp00f sUm pAcKeTz'
needing to be an admin probably won't stop them for long.

ian.

Ric Messier wrote:

I think claims is the key word there. Has someone verified yet that anyone
at any privilege level can get access to raw sockets under Windows XP?
Knowing the levels of privileges, etc that Windows NT has always had, I
would find it hard to believe that they have just opened up access to that
facility to anyone who wanted it.

Ric