Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: The NSA's Security-Enhanced Linux

From: "Jeffrey W. Thompson" <thompson () ARGUS-SYSTEMS COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:44:55 -0600

Scott,

As you may well know, I'd love to see you do this!  I of course would be more
than happy to help you in any way I can (or get other people here at Argus to do
so! :) ).

I also, wanted to mail out to VULN-DEV to let people know of two very soon
upcoming things:

The first is that Argus will be doing OpenHack III with eWeek starting the 15th
of this month. I think it is 50K US that we are putting up for the contest and
prizes will be given out for completing various hacks on the systems. We will
have four systems set up mimicing a simple ISP setup in a "real" world fashion.
We will perform all administration remotely, and will have lots of services
available for people to attack.

System 1) Shell server that people will be able to log into directly.  This
server will be running httpd, sshd, ftpd, telnetd.  Users will also be able to
retrieve ISP email from this system via IMAPD or POPD to the DNS/Mail Server.
This system will be running on a Netra with Solaris 7 and Argus PitBull
Foundation.  A successful attack on this system is to place a file in /.

System 2) DNS/Mail server.  This system will expose DNS, sendmail, popd, imapd,
and sshd (for administration). This system will be running on a new as of yet
unreleased product called PitBull LX.  This system will be running RedHat 6.2.  I
am personally very excited to see this system in action, as it is an entirely new
technology that we have developed. A successful attack on this system is to add
an entry into the openhack.com DNS configuration file.

System 3) Appliance co-hosting system.  This system will host two different web
sites for ISP customers.  An account will be given out on this system and the
goal on this system will be to modify one of the two web sites.  This system will
be running Solaris 7 x86 with the Argus Secure Web Appliance running on top of
it.  This is also an as of yet unreleased product.  We will be announcing it
officially at the end of the month.

System 4) A e-commerce system.  This system is considered to be a co-located
server at the ISP for one of its customers.  It will be running AIX with PitBull
.comPack. A successful attack on this system will be to penetrate the system and
retrieve a passphrase from a table in the database running on the system.

We will have more complete details available during the contest for each of the
systems, and will also have a mail alias and most likely have an irc channel set
up as well for ongoing discussion.  Also, Argus has a flash add on the web at
www.argus-systems.com/champ/ if you would like to see it.

The second item I wanted to mention is that we will be releasing the new PitBull
LX product on January 31st at Linux World.  We will also be making PitBull LX
available under the Argus Revolution program for free individual non-commercial
use.  I'll of course be very interested to hear people's feedback about LX after
we release it.

I hope that all of you get a chance to go after the OpenHack systems and have a
good time while doing it!  While clearly these contests do nothing to demonstrate
"absolute" security, I still think that they serve some very good purposes if
done right:

1) Allow people to attack and see a realistically secured architecture and gain a
better understanding of how products/technologies can be used (or sometimes how
they shouldn't be used).

2) Raise general awareness of security and security technologies

3) Give people a hopefully fun as well as educational experience

4) And the possibility of winning a little money isn't all that bad.

Cheers and best of luck!

Jeff

Jeff Thompson
Software Evangelist and Visionary