Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: icq 2000 ads

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () WINTERNET COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:00:27 -0600

As well as the already mentioned, ability of software to take the control
of the machine out of the owner/operators hands.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 percival () NS1 DEVNULL NL wrote:

Ok, I've noticed something else (don't flame me if I'm blatantly wrong through ;-) )

When I load dirty uin A ('dirty' as in : with the ad window attached) each time I open a message window (double click
on user in contactlist, pick message from menu etc..), icqateb.ocx is run, as well as icqateres.dll, imm32.dll,
icqate32.dll and olepro32.dll.
From then on, each time a message window is opened only icqate32.dll, imm32.dll and icqateres.dll are run.

Then I load clean uin B (this is the part I'm not so sure of) and it looks like the libraries I mentioned above
aren't loaded.... Anyway, I'm just mentioning it, personally I don't believe this to be true. It's just general
lameness on the matter from my side.

Side note - Some people have told me that this is 'offtopic', well I agree it is. But the initial reason for my post
was my concern about (possibly) personal information being sent to mirabilis/aol behind our backs. Which I think is
on-topic and concerns us all.

Taylan Develioglu - Systems administrator /Dev/Null solutions =[]=

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.