Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: ScanMail Message: To Sender, sensitive content found and action taken.]

From: "Bluefish (P.Magnusson)" <11a () GMX NET>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:47:49 +0200

Is anyone else distressed at the amount of crap one gets when a post
goes out to a large mailing list?  I get 5 to 10 pieces of floatsam
every time one of my posts appears on Bugtraq, firewall-wizards, or
vuln-dev.  At first it was just assorted idiots using vacation 'bots
that can't tell the difference between mailing list traffic and personal
e-mail.

Yes, I've been complaining to some of the robot-sites. Also I complained
to one vendor (trend IIRC) which replied that they were sorry about the
incidents and that the option should be implemented in some soon to come
release.

Personly, I use filters to avoid as many as possible of these messages,
and use this account only for mailinglists. Numerous misconfiguration
cause us being spammed: away, policies, message returns etc.

Ideally, offending sites should be notfied and blacklisted for some while
after causing troubles for posters, but automating that in turn may be
hard / dangerous. And doing it manually is probably far to much work
(assuming our dear moderator has a life ;-)

MY RECOMENDATION:

  1. complain to offending vendors
     (don't forget to mention that you believe this to be a problem which
     may affect yours or others interest in the product!)

  2. complain to offending sites

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team

             http://www.eff.org/cafe