Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: ScanMail Message: To Sender,sensitive content found and action taken.]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:26:17 -0700

Crispin Cowan wrote:

Is anyone else distressed at the amount of crap one gets when a post
goes out to a large mailing list?  I get 5 to 10 pieces of floatsam
every time one of my posts appears on Bugtraq, firewall-wizards, or
vuln-dev.  At first it was just assorted idiots using vacation 'bots
that can't tell the difference between mailing list traffic and personal
e-mail.

Now I'm starting to get bounces from censor-ware that has decided I'm a
smut-monger because I may use naughty words in a post.  On at least one
occasion, I got a bounce because I mentioned the BitchX client.

Blue Boar:  What is the list policy on this stuff?  Do people who leave
idiot robots connected to the list get dropped?  I wish they would.
Preferably with a note sent to their subscription address telling them
that they've been dropped for having a robot subscribed to the list.

The policy is that I drop subscribers that generate auto-responses.  All
anyone has to do is send me a copy of the bounce/autoreply/etc.. and I'll
do my best to drop them (not always straightforward... every once in a
while I get some subscriber who has forwarding through 2 or 3 different
systems, such that there is no obvious relationship between the autoreply
from: and an address that is subscribed.)

The only exception is when I let a live virus through the list, and I
get 2000 virus-scanning gateways replying to me or the list.  I don't
unsubscribe them for that. :)  Reminder: The proper way to send
malware for the list's consideration is inside a password-protected
.zip.  The password is to be published in the same note.  The reason
is to avoid setting of such gateways.

                                        BB