Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: spoofing the ethernet address (license managers)

From: sherrill () TI COM (Eric Sherrill)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:19:01 -0600

I disagree with the assessment that it only helps honest people stay honest,
in large part because tying license managers to supposedly "unique"
information like MAC addresses, can become a real pain for the sysadmin.
Here are some examples.

1. I lose an important machine and need to replace the motherboard or swap
its disk(s) out to a spare machine, to get it back up & running quickly.
Now I also have to worry about transferring the NIC and/or NVRAM (Sun hostid
chip) as well.  What about Intel machines which increasingly have
mobo-integrated Ethernet?  Better hope you can change that MAC in
software....

2. I lose my license server.  Now all my licensed software stops working,
unless/until a backup or failover machine gets the license manager running
again (but see above & below).  I know that this is sometimes mitigated
(only new client instances fail, not currently running ones, in many cases)
but still painful.

3. I am running a cluster.  IP failover and/or load-balancing depends on
"floating" IP addresses which can pass between machines.  Each machine has
its own MAC address and IP address, but also a shared/floating IP address.
If one is overloaded or dies and passes off the license manager daemon to
another node, it will need to either take over the MAC address of the
failed/overloaded node (which can make failing back tricky, mess up ARP
tables, or worse), or else the license manager will have to have a separate
license server file keyed for each node (and be intelligent enough to fail
over gracefully).

4. I want to install a new machine, say solely for some temporary purpose,
such as troubleshooting a problem.  Now I either have to have a spare
license available on the license server, or I have to send information to
the vendor and wait for them to issue an updated license file.  This can
involve anything from a simple e-mail or two, to layers of corporate
purchasing red tape (and weeks of waiting).

5. Most license managers I have worked with are only "network-aware" in the
minimal sense that they seem to work in only a limited client-server
paradigm - one server, many clients.  What would be more helpful:

        a license manager that can discover and report (to the admin, not the
vendor) on authorized and unauthorized copies of licensed software running
anywhere on your network (although this type of port-scan might also raise
some network managers' eyebrows);

        that can implement a shared pool of licenses among more than one "server"
machine (this would also help with 3. above);

        that can automatically issue a limited number of "exceptions" within
certain boundaries to help with variable peak loads (say you go over by one
or two seats for a few days on your quota, no problem; if you consistently
abuse it, however, the vendor is notified).

Anybody know of any products with UNIX and NT cross-platform availability
with these type of features?

-Eric