Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: spoofing the ethernet address (license managers)

From: forrestc () IMACH COM (Forrest W. Christian)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:36:26 -0700

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Michael Wojcik wrote:

Yes, people have proposed arcane, byzantine schemes like encrypting portions
of the program, scattering license checks through it, etc.  Sooner or later,
though, the software has to decide to trust something that's under the
user's control.

This reminds me of the Apple II days, when all of the above were attempted
and some of them were somewhat successful, at least for a while.

I remember when the "holy grail" of deprotection was Microsoft Flight
Simulator - They used some funky obscure code which basically accessed the
disk in ways the designer never intended.   Nothing could copy it very
reliably as a result, and it was out for at least a year or so before
someone successfully figured out how to extract it onto an easily copyable
disk in a form that would work.

But the short version is that no matter the copy protection someone will
figure a way around it.

I fully agree with the rest the (trimmed) message that the real purpose of
licensing is to help keep those honest people honest.  I think people
should look at ways to help count software which needs to be
licensed.  For this, the mac-address based scheme might be useful, as it
does tend to provide a unique (at least in an enterprise) identifier for a
computer.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc () imach com) KD7EHZ
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648