Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: local security workaround through IE

From: kain () EGOTRIP DK (Knud Erik Højgaard)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:38:59 +0100

yup..this is a library .. i know winnuking is lame..and patched...but ..
public (read - government) places at least in Denmark dont see the need to
upgrade their win95 to win98 or NT, as it works the same way and costs too
much money. They think like this i suppose 'we are running desktop
restriction software, so no users can do bad things, and we are also
running a very expensive firewall (i suppose they think it works right out
of the box w/o configuring it), so no harm can bestow upon us. ... i guess
they're wrong. I hid ftpd's and other nice stuff on their computers, the
firewall allows for .exe downloading and so on. Actually i used that
reconfiguring mime type in netscape too..totally forgot about that one. I
downloaded mirc installation.exe and told netscape to open all .exe with
that one..and hey presto...the /run command in mirc is very usefull.
/remove too .. and by the way .. usually switching the computer on/off a
few times brings up scandisk, which can be terminated with a CTRL-C .. it
then says 'do you really want to stop scandisk' or something like
that...CTRL-C again terminates it(as far as i can remember...haven't done
it for a while, got better stuff to do with my time now), and leaves you at
a nice C:\> prompt ... some of the worst scenarios even left me with the
'starting win9x' thing where you can press F8 and get that nice
bootmenu...failsafe command prompt only please. Thank you.

Oh well.. just a few thoughts/comments.

Knud Erik Højgaard
The Helldesk worker