Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: redhat 6.1 mail

From: rhodesc () VERIMAIL COM (Christopher Rhodes)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:37:07 -0700

        I get denied trying to unlink my mailbox file on redhat
6.1, apparently because I don't have write permissions to the
directory.  All is well.

        Under Debian (slink) I can't either.

        Something that would be interesting to confirm,
however, was an oddity I noticed with the SGI/va/debian
special release of slink (1 cdrom, came with a debian
bumper sticker and a demo version of some game.)

        Regular Slink has it's groups OK, but in a
review of sendmail security, I noticed that for some
reason, there was a:
        define(`confDEF_USER_ID',uid:gid)dnl

where the uid was mail, and the gid was a nonexistant
group, but a mail group existed.  In my full copy of
slink (came with Dale Scheetz' book, think I spelled
that right,) the uid:gid was OK.

Chris Rhodes