Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: FW: The AOL Spyware

From: andrew () SCOOP CO NZ (Andrew McNaughton)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:26:15 +1200

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Oporto, Kenneth wrote:

Also.. I agree.. about not calling foul until we see the BEEF.. I think this
kind of publicity, if false, does more damage to the accused corporations
than we believe.

This damage is a predictable consequence of the unacceptable (and in my
country, illegal) behaviour of collecting private information from users
computers without their knowledge or consent.  Yes, it would be better to
publicise exactly what is being collected, but the responsibility for that
information being public rests primarily with AOL.

Andrew McNaughton