Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: how to transfer files on napster

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 10:20:35 -0800

Jordan Ritter wrote:

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Jason Copenhaver wrote:

# this txt explains a pretty simple way into fooling napster into
# thinking that your transfering an mp3 file.  It looks like it only
# checks for a valid 4 byte mp3 header and the mp3 file extenstion....

As I stated already in a list email well before yours, this is possible.
Anyone that wants to pursue steganographic methods for fooling file
transfer software is very likely to meet with success.

My conclusion was, who the hell would want to?  A hex editor?  Gee, that's
useful.

--jordan

Depends on whether you were trying to keep people solely from giving access
to other files on accident, or if you were trying to keep people from
trading other types of warez intentionally.

                                                BB