Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: special characters (HTTP)

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () ENTERNET SE>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:02:18 +0200

Peter Tonoli wrote:

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Bluefish wrote:

I believe most mayor httpds (apache, IIS etc) has delt with this problem
long ago. However, some less wellknown httpd-softwares have had serious
problems with this (checking that URL doesn't contain ".." BEFORE
converting special characters)

Err, shouldn't this be *after* converting special chars? What if the
converted characters are '..' or similar - I seem to remember a
vulnerability involving this (can't remember what http server
however!). :)

I'd say you're talking about the same thing:

Bluefish was saying that httpds have problems because they're checking
for "/.." before converting.

You're saying that checks should be done after converting.

Voila! :)
Our alltime vulnerability favorite web server IIS has had problems
like these. Lesson: FIRST convert, THEN check. (Just as you said).

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46-(0)660-29 92 00         Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50