Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Some work needed

From: Luis Pinto <lmpinto () STUDENT DEI UC PT>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:40:37 +0000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Michal Zalewski wrote:

It's just another BQ cross-post, but I guess this is the right forum. I
attached sperl up to 5.06 (I mean, all current versions) exploit.

        Great. sperl5.00503 ships with RedHat 6.2, dont know about other
distros. That means we have one working exploit for the latest distro,
being used in hundreds of multi user machines, some of them dependent on
sperl.

        Some of them mine.

        And yet, you release this exploit? Have you notified anyone? I
dont know if Larry Wall still takes care of it, at least with bug reports,
but I doubt he has been notified.

Unfortunately, it's poorly written - slow shell-script doing some
brute-forcing, probably working only on fast Linux / BSD boxes.

        It works - it is bad enough.

        I will save the rants about the difference between responsability
and full disclosure for some other time...
--
                                         Regards,
                                        Luis Pinto