Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Win2K Local DoS?

From: pantera () BALANCEPOINTGOLF COM
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 12:59:41 -0700

Hi there,

To kill a process in Win2k (even services.exe) drop to a command
prompt, type kill <pid>

Oliver Friedrichs says:
! Once you have execute permission on a Windows system there's not
! alot limiting you from using resources.

Very true, I fail to see the use of a local DoS. If you want to kill the
machine the 'shutdown' feature comes to mind.

Dimitry Andric says:
! It simply checks for some reserved names, such as services.exe,
lsass.exe or
! winlogon.exe, and refuses to even _try_ a OpenProcess() +
TerminateProcess()
! call on these.

This is an interesting limitation/feature. I'm glad to see you also
realised the potential for trojans here! However I'm not quite sure to
understand how you would not be able to use an OpenProcess() for
something called services.exe. I actually made a small app, renamed it
services.exe and ran it. Surely enough, it showed as a duplicate
services.exe in my task manager, and there was no way i could kill it.
Cool.

IMHO, this is a rather serious flaw in the task manager. Imposing
restrictions or assuming a critical process by a string match on its
name is not even bad, its downright evil (i wonder if i rename my
account administrator... heh). Maybe someone should contact MS?

M.