Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: res:// weirdness

From: Alex Schuetz <antitrack_legend () TELEWEB AT>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:20:06 +0200

I believe the res:// bug is the same as the shell://localhost bug, and yes it
DOES mess up the system.

Here is how you can verify some res:// or shell:// bugs weirdnesses :

1.) Install "ZoneAlarm" firewall
2.) Permanently disable the firewall (it has an option for that)
3.) start the res:// or shell:// bug by entering e.g. shell://localhost in IE5
as URL
(two times to be sure)
4.) Use your computer more than 30 minutes. It will trigger the firewall and
she will block _all_ traffic
5.) Even after reboot and _no_ subsequent entering of res:// or shell:// , the
firewall will block traffic every 30 minutes.

I've reported this already in this mailing list already, but nobody seems to
listen :-)

Yours

Alex :-)

"Bluefish (P.Magnusson)" wrote:

Windows 95 B, Swedish version (OSR 2.5 I believe it is)
Internet Explorer 5.50.4134.0600, 128 bit cipher (english version)
Both shdoclc.dll and shdocvw.dll contain the unicode string
"ProductVersion 5.50.4134.600".

All testing indicates the system is *not* to be vulnerable to the
described bug.

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team