Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

res:// weirdness

From: Markku-Juhani Saarinen <mjos () CC JYU FI>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 02:35:16 +0300

Hi,

  I don't know whether this is new or not, but the following URL seems
  to totally blow up IE 5, opening new windows until system
  resources are exhausted. This applies at least to NT 4 boxes with
  IE 5.5.

    res://shdocvw.dll/http_404.htm#http://www.securityfocus.com/

  I found this basically while reading through SHDOCLC.DLL.

  If nothing special happens, try entering that url for the second time.
  Apparently cache is somehow involved with this thing.

- mj

Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen <mjos () jyu fi>  University of Jyväskylä, Finland