Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ping flooding as normal user

From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak () ARGO TROJA MFF CUNI CZ>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:17:19 +0200

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Bluefish wrote:

I'm no expert on network coding in the unix environment (or any other
environment for that sake ;) but I'm wondering how big this issue is. I
mean, basicly the main problem is that bandwidth per user isn't limited
(for a number of sites, being able to limit that for ordinary users might
be interesting - not only to avoid abuse)

Exactly. I might modify ping beyond all recognition to make it unusable
to flooding but all that effort is wasted as long as any user can write
and run a program sending big UDP packets (instead of ICMP) as fast as
possible.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."