tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Accurate ECN support in tcpdump/libpcap

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:41:11 -0400

Scheffenegger, Richard <Richard.Scheffenegger () netapp com> wrote:
    > Tcpdump - any every tool afterwards - has been using "." for ACKs.

Hi, so there have been some tools which have parsed the tcpdump "TCP" output
in the past, and there have been small variations in the output, and often
we've broken those tools.
One such tool was Tim's https://man.archlinux.org/man/xplot.1.en which I
think we broke and it never got quite fixed, and I am forever sad.

The best situation would be that you'd add a --tcp-json option and then dump
TCP stuff in JSON, with a really long line and minimal spaces.  That might be
too much work... it's always that situation for small incremental changes.

So I really don't have any good advice.