tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New official link-layer type request

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 15:02:42 -0700

On May 11, 2019, at 2:51 PM, Damir Franusic <damir.franusic () gmail com> wrote:

PDU types are extendable and there might be more of them in the future. I wanted to make it like this so adding new
types would not present a big issue. I can define the two PDU types used at present moment but maybe it would be more
practical to leave PDU payload part as generic octet stream if that's possible.

Why would it be more practical not to define *what you already implementString s are pure ASCII C null terminated, no
need for utf-8.

The formats of PDUs will be described in protocol documentation, sure. I am just not sure how many types of PDUs will
it consist of when it's done. Is we just leave as a data octet stream, any kind of PDU added later would not break
the initial design.

If you're planning on extending this, then what you should do is:

        put a specification for the *current* set of PDU types on your Web site, *including* the payload formats for
each of those PDU types;

        update it as *new* PDU types are added;

and the entry for your LINKTYPE_ value on tcpdump.org can link to that specification.

pcapng has a specification:

http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?url=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.xml&modeAsFormat=html/ascii&type=ascii

and it *does* list the block type values, and formats, for existing block types, and the option number values, and
formats, for existing options, but that does *not* prevent it from being extensible; as new block types or options are
added, the specification is updated.

Our goal is to have a registry of link-layer header types that would allow somebody to write their *own* code to
process pcap or pcapng files with packets of that type *without* having to read tcpdump or Wireshark code to figure out
how to analyze it.