tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Timestamping Problem

From: Christian <christian.rupp.stuttgart () freenet de>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 16:17:51 +0200

The experiments I made today actually suggest that in my case tcpdump uses the hardware clock for incoming packages and the software/unix clock for outgoing packages.

I changed the System clock of one Server with date -s and then looked at the capture of Ping packages. Incoming packages on the changed server used the hardware clock while outgoing packages used the changed system clock.

Is there a way to change that?

Am 09.06.2016 um 15:47 schrieb Michael Richardson:
Guenter Ebermann <guenter.ebermann () googlemail com> wrote:
     > Hardware timestamping of sending/receiving buffer descriptors is done
     > by NIC.

Receiving I understand.

Are you sure that the hardware is going to timestamp sent packets, and then
turn around and send the back to the kernel?