tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New LINKTYPE_ for EPON

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:10:47 -0700

On Apr 18, 2014, at 5:40 AM, Philip Rosenberg-Watt <P.Rosenberg-Watt () cablelabs com> wrote:

I apologize if this is a duplicate message. I sent a request on Monday but
I have not received a response, so I'm trying again, this time as a member
of the list.

I think non-member messages need to be moderated.

I also did not S/MIME sign this message in case that was the
issue.

Not as far as I know.

CableLabs specifies Ethernet Passive Optical Network as the foundation for
DPoE (DOCSIS Provisioning over EPON). We would like to request a separate
LINKTYPE for EPON, as all EPON frames will contain a fixed-size 8-byte
preamble before the Ethernet header.

The relevant standard is IEEE 802.3-2012, Section 5, Clause 65.

So a frame would start with the 8-byte preamble described by 802.3-2012 section 65.1.3.2 "Transmit", followed
immediately by a regular Ethernet frame?