tcpdump mailing list archives

New LINKTYPE_ for EPON

From: Philip Rosenberg-Watt <P.Rosenberg-Watt () cablelabs com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:40:04 +0000

Hello:

I apologize if this is a duplicate message. I sent a request on Monday but
I have not received a response, so I'm trying again, this time as a member
of the list. I also did not S/MIME sign this message in case that was the
issue.

CableLabs specifies Ethernet Passive Optical Network as the foundation for
DPoE (DOCSIS Provisioning over EPON). We would like to request a separate
LINKTYPE for EPON, as all EPON frames will contain a fixed-size 8-byte
preamble before the Ethernet header.

The relevant standard is IEEE 802.3-2012, Section 5, Clause 65.

Thanks again,

--
Phil Rosenberg-Watt

Engineering Technician III, Systems Evaluation
CableLabs
303-661-3361
p.rosenberg-watt () cablelabs com