tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap segment violation

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:59:53 -0800

On Feb 13, 2014, at 10:23 AM, "Daniel H. Bahr" <dhbahr () gmail com> wrote:

There IS a chance more than one instance of the Object owning the
native methods would be created IF there would be need to sniff at
several network interfaces simultaneously; in which case there would
be a single instance of the class for each network interface to be
sniffed.

Could this raise the issues you mention above?

As long as each pcap_t * you have open is being accessed by one specific *OS-level thread of control within the address
space*, the only issues you will have would happen if more than one thread ("thread" in the sense of an OS-level thread
of control within the address space) is trying to run pcap_compile().

That wouldn't cause a crash while capturing traffic, however; you'd only get a problem if more than one thread of
control within the address space is running pcap_compile() at the same time.  I don't know whether you'd get a crash or
just mysterious parsing errors.

(I say "OS-level thread of control within the address space" because I'm not sure there's always a one-to-one
correspondence between Java threads and OS-level threads.)