tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [libpcap] fix typo on manpage install (#320)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:14:22 -0700

On Sep 24, 2013, at 6:44 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

We can support very old systems today, although some of them get little
testing.  Upgrading tcpdump from source code is on a really old system
(that can not be replaced...) in order to diagnose what went wrong is a
common occurance.

And note that Bill Fenner changed tcpdump, a while ago, to somewhat decouple it from its corresponding libpcap version,
allowing current versions of tcpdump to be installed on systems with older versions of libpcap; most of the platform
support issues are with libpcap rather than tcpdump, so, even if we drop support for some platforms in libpcap at some
point, that, by itself, wouldn't mean tcpdump would stop working on those platforms.