tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [libpcap] fix typo on manpage install (#320)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:02:25 -0400

Michal Sekletar <notifications () github com> wrote:
    > We should really drop those generated files from SCM. I never
    > understood why we track them in the first place. Committing regenerated
    > versions just clutters development history.

If you ./configure and friends, history has proven that the autoconf/automake
toolset is not stable over time or release schedule.  It often has changed in
ways that aren't forward or backwards compatible, and without the *exact*
version to generate ./configure, one is screwed.
That makes regression testing and building new versions on old distros
impossible.

(For instance, autoconf2.13 and autoconf2.5 and a newer one, could not be
substituted at all)

If you are suggesting ripping out the entire autoconf infrastructure, I am
not opposed: HPUX, Interactive Unix, Xenix and AIX 3 are long dead, and so
are the weirdness they brought to the world of the 1990s.  But, we still have
things like QNX and Cygwin...

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [