tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: "not vlan" filter expression broken catastrophically!

From: Gianluca Varenni <Gianluca.Varenni () riverbed com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 05:26:53 +0000

What I'm talking about is not having the vlan keyword that has a global effect to the whole filters.
At the moment we write something like "vlan and ip" to capture ip packets within vlan, and a filter like "(vlan and ip)
or udp" is actually compiled with the logic meaning "vlan and (ip or udp)".
One proposal that I have is to support a syntax like the following

vlan ip

This is exactly like "vlan ip" but it sticks *only* to the "ip" keyword. So a filter like "vlan ip or udp" means
"accepts ip packets within a vlan tag, or udp packets without a vlan tag". If you want to specify the vlan id, you use

vlan 23 ip

if you want to "stick" vlan to multiple filters, you use the syntax

vlan 23 (udp or tcp)

this is equivalent to

vlan 23 udp or vlan 23 udp

Finally, if you want to filter QinQ packets, you use

vlan vlan ip (ip packets within  2 vlan encapsulations)

I know the syntax is not the most elegant (and I don't know how easy/difficult it would be to parse), but I believe it
solves the problem of having the vlan keyword having a global effect during compilation.

What do you guys think?

Have a nice day
GV