tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap and certificates

From: Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 02:06:45 +0900

I would like to ask if somebody could point me to information on howto
hook up libpcap to sniff a secure website on HTTPS. I understand I
have to decrypt the packets probably using openssl, but I wonder if
there is some howto to guide me. I am on the latest Ubuntu.

Last I checked, tcpdump supports decrypting IPSec, but not SSL.
However, Wireshark decrypts SSL.  You'll need the SSL private key of
the webserver to do

Yes i am aware Wireshark can do it if you provide the private key, but i need to decrypt packets in my own sniffer
based on libpcap. I was hoping i am not the first and somebody could gimme some startup pointers, so that i dont have
to go through the Wireshark sources... But maybe i am at the wrong place and should turn to the openssl forum instead...

Cheers,
Andrej-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.