tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap and certificates

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 09:33:13 -0700

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Andrej van der Zee
<andrejvanderzee () gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to ask if somebody could point me to information on howto
hook up libpcap to sniff a secure website on HTTPS. I understand I
have to decrypt the packets probably using openssl, but I wonder if
there is some howto to guide me. I am on the latest Ubuntu.

Last I checked, tcpdump supports decrypting IPSec, but not SSL.
However, Wireshark decrypts SSL.  You'll need the SSL private key of
the webserver to do it.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic