tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: capturing on both interfaces simultaneously

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:05:11 -0800

On Dec 11, 2011, at 4:10 PM, abhinav narain wrote:

It sniffs for beacons by using bpf filter and keeps a per AP record of
packet count etc in a table.

So if that's all you're doing, you presumably don't have your own buffer
for packets; when you say "I already have 15% RAM being eaten by the
program, so I can't actually increase the buffer size to save packets in
between select switches.", are you referring to the buffer in libpcap
itself, as specified by pcap_set_buffer_size()?

Yes, I havent user the pcap_set_buffer_size(), but in open_live() , i give the buffersize as BUFSIZ,

There is no buffer size option in pcap_open_live(), so you *can't* give the buffer size in a pcap_open_live() call.

One way to identify a beacon frame from an 802.11n-capable AP is to look
for the HT Capabilities Info field; see "7.3.2.56.2 HT Capabilities Info
field" in the 802.11 spec.

Is this is information in the radiotap header

No.

or the mac header ?

No.

It's in the management frame body.  See sections 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 of the 802.11 standard:

        http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11-2007.pdf

and of the 802.11n standard:

        http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11n-2009.pdf

I looked at wireshark code which is the only tool i came across giving some
information on N protocol, but its code is more complicated than
pcap,tcpdump,kismet,horst i went through before.
Is there any other tool i can see how to code it.

None that I know of.

I am parsing till the 31st bit on radiotap header bitmap.
Any code base where I can see how they do it ?

None of this is in the radiotap header!  It's in the body of a management frame.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.