tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap capture performance drop

From: rixed () happyleptic org
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:20:57 +0200

-[ Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:38:43AM -0700, Guy Harris ]----

On May 23, 2011, at 12:31 AM, rixed () happyleptic org wrote:

Which brings the question: how one could find out the MTU of a
pcap_handle in order no to set caplen to 65535 ?

See pcap-linux.c in the top of the trunk or of the 1.2 branch.  (Short answer: SIOCGIFMTU, as in the iface_get_mtu()
routine.)-

If I understand this code correctly, in the next release of the libpcap
if a client program ask for a capture length bigger than the MTU then
the size allocated for each frame in the ring buffer will be sized down
to avoid wasting space ?

If so then I just have to wait for the new libpcap :-)

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.