tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: A puzzled maintainer with questions regarding

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 14:21:47 -0800

On Feb 4, 2011, at 12:25 AM, M.Baris Demiray wrote:

In fact this is not what STANAG 5066 Annex H "Implementation Guide and
Notes" section suggests. According to this section and the tests held
by DRA (Defence Research Agency),

1) The throughput is not strongly sensitive to frame size
2) 200 bytes is a good 'compromise' selection for frame size

Besides, STANAG 5066 has the ability of doing DRC (Data Rate Change)
in accordance with SNR values so what is suggested by that white
paper, I think, is not applicable.

That's somewhat of an implementation detail that shouldn't affect code that tries to dissect those packets.

Precisely. Yet may be a little clarification is needed. You might have
noticed that in my first e-mail I mentioned about DTS (Data Transfer
Sublayer) and that one of our dissector methods has the name
dissect_s5066dts() but now we are talking about MAC layer and all this
may look like a confusion but it is not. As explained in Isode white
paper there are three versions of STANAG 5066. MAC (Medium Access
Control) layer was introduced in Edition 2 (which was later renamed as
Edition 3) and designated to manage HF modem interface that DTS was
designated to do the same before.

So is there a publicly-available specification that documents what the packets using this link-layer type look like?-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.