tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: remote capturing using tcpdump

From: Francois Goudal <fg () satcom1 com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:45:50 +0200

 Le 06/10/10 15:19, Ankith Agarwal a écrit :
Hi
   Is there any solution for reporting the captured packets to a remote
user through the same or another interface. Actually I need to remotely
monitor a machines' incoming and outgoing packets.

I would suggest using the method described here :
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Pipes

Take a look at the "Remote Capture" paragraph. It explains how to do remote capture through ssh. I have been doing it several times and it works great. It uses wireshark/tshark, not tcpdump though, but I'm sure you can do the same kind of things with tcpdump if you specifically want to use tcpdump instead of tshark.

--
Francois Goudal
Avionics Engineer

-