tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap capture performance drop

From: Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:59:24 +0200

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 02:00:22PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
No.  I forgot that the availability of the memory-mapped pcap
mechanism isn't determined by the configure script, it's determined
by what the system includes offer.

Instead, in pcap-linux.c, just #if 0 out the

 /* check for memory mapped access avaibility. We assume every needed
  * struct is defined if the macro TPACKET_HDRLEN is defined, because it
  * uses many ring related structs and macros */

Would it be possible to support disabling mmaped access in runtime
with an environment variable?

I had one user complaining about slow startup of tcpdump -s 0 and it
seems that there is not much we can do about it as kernel has to
allocated large blocks of continuous memory.

--
Miroslav Lichvar
-