tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap capture performance drop

From: Doktor Bernd <doktorbernd () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:35:40 +0000

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem as described in
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c972613.6039.qm%40web59701.mail.ac4.yahoo.com%3e

I have written a software that captures Ethernet frames and forwards them to different interfaces.

On Ubuntu 8.10 the software is able to handle 100 Mbit/s without drops on a Intel Core 2 Duo System. When upgrading to
any other version of Ubuntu, I experience between 0.5 and 3% packet loss on the same system and also on systems using
Intel Core 2 Quad CPUs.

The libpcap version of Ubuntu 8.10 was 0.9.8 and it was upgraded with later Ubuntu versions.

I wanted to try to disable mmap (using libpcap-1.1.1) as suggested in the previous post
  "for Linux, after running the configure script, get rid of the definition of HAVE_PACKET_RING in config.h;"

But I could not find HAVE_PACKET_RING in the created config.h and also nothing related in the ./configure output.
Has this been changed?

All the best,
Bernd

                                          -