tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: ATM raw format data-link level type code in

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:05:30 +1200

Miguel Casas-Sanchez wrote:
Hi all,

I have been messing around with data dumps into libpcap file format (major=2, minor=4) for testing my traffic generation scripts, and so far it went very good: I could create different streams, dump them into file(s), and parse them back using either windump/tcpdump/wireshark.

Now I'm generating ATM cells with AAL5 encapsulated traffic inside (as per RFC 2684, not RFC 1483 which is superseded) and cannot seem to find the appropriate DLT_ for "raw atm".

There are, in pcap/bpf.h, the following related DLT modes:

   #define DLT_ATM_RFC1483    11    /* LLC-encapsulated ATM */
   #define DLT_ATM_CLIP           19    /* Linux Classical-IP over ATM */
   #define DLT_SUNATM            123    /* Solaris+SunATM */

DLT_ATM_RFC1483 expects the "packet data" in the dump file, to be stripped of the atm cell header, and most likely of the AAL5 epilog.

DLT_ATM_CLIP expects the "packet data" in the dump file, to be only an IP packet, so basically is the same as the previous case.

DLT_SUNATM expects another type of format for "packet data": 1 byte of traffic type indication, 1 byte VPI and 2-byte VCI, then the atm cell payload.

I would like to know if anyone implemented/had though about adding a DLT_ATM_RAW or similar, to dump raw ATM cells as they come from the network. If necessary/interesting I could add them myself.

You are right, I haven't seen direct support for ATM cells.

For reassembled frames we can convert into the above types, but for raw cells we would generally use our own format.

I would support adding a DLT_ATM_CELLS or similar.

There is always the question of what metadata per cell is appropriate. We capture a 4-byte cell header without the HCS. In some cases we have a 'Physical Port ID' which would be useful.

Stephen.