tcpdump mailing list archives

ATM raw format data-link level type code in dump

From: Miguel Casas-Sanchez <miguel.casas-sanchez () alcatel-lucent com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:06:44 +0200

Hi all,

I have been messing around with data dumps into libpcap file format (major=2, minor=4) for testing my traffic generation scripts, and so far it went very good: I could create different streams, dump them into file(s), and parse them back using either windump/tcpdump/wireshark.

Now I'm generating ATM cells with AAL5 encapsulated traffic inside (as per RFC 2684, not RFC 1483 which is superseded) and cannot seem to find the appropriate DLT_ for "raw atm".

There are, in pcap/bpf.h, the following related DLT modes:

   #define DLT_ATM_RFC1483    11    /* LLC-encapsulated ATM */
   #define DLT_ATM_CLIP           19    /* Linux Classical-IP over ATM */
   #define DLT_SUNATM            123    /* Solaris+SunATM */

DLT_ATM_RFC1483 expects the "packet data" in the dump file, to be stripped of the atm cell header, and most likely of the AAL5 epilog.

DLT_ATM_CLIP expects the "packet data" in the dump file, to be only an IP packet, so basically is the same as the previous case.

DLT_SUNATM expects another type of format for "packet data": 1 byte of traffic type indication, 1 byte VPI and 2-byte VCI, then the atm cell payload.

I would like to know if anyone implemented/had though about adding a DLT_ATM_RAW or similar, to dump raw ATM cells as they come from the network. If necessary/interesting I could add them myself.

Cheers

Miguel

--
Miguel Casas-Sanchez
Alcatel-Lucent Bell NV

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and
purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited
without the prior consent of its author.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.